when clearing your place clears your mind

there you go again, we've spent most of the day decluttering some more. The ones that were first on the list this morning were the numerous cardboard boxes I've been keeping ... you know ... from Etsy deliveries ... from friends' parcels ... oh yeah and the little little boxes, they could be useful ... well ... they could. But I actually hardly ever use them. And our place doesn't have expandable walls & closets. So they were one more factor of mess around the house. I sorted them all out, kept the ones that I really could/will be using for sending parcels, and the rest went to the recycling bin.

another very hardwork day at home

more dust was cleaned away (for how long ? I know ....), dust bunnies were sent away. Another piece of furniture (shelf unit) was assembled, by my three guys, mind you. When it was finally assembled, it was put at the place we had planned it to be. But we noticed that the plugs (electricity & telephone) were in the way of the said piece of furniture, and that it wasn't possible to put it at this very place. Damn it. We hadn't seen that coming. Nevermind, hubby & I are so not going to let this get us down. Like Pooh would say, "think, think, think".

then, bing ! (or bam !, as you prefer), an idea popped. We used one of the pieces of furniture that hubby assembled on Monday afternoon, and that was residing in the boys' bedroom. We moved this in the living room, and it of course fitted perfectly, and the plugs were not in the way. Well, it forced us then to rethink all the living room layout. So we decided to use what they had assembled today to make some kind of hall, like a separation. While we were at it, we changed other things, and it's taking shape little by little. Of course lots of books were moved from one shelf to another, lots of other things too. If you had come home today, I would have probably had a damp sponge in hand. (sexy, hey ... ugh, so not !!)

one of my "goals" for home is to remove as many things as possible from the surface of the ground. I mean, it looks messy & it's a pain to clean or dust. The less things are actually on the ground, the less painful to keep tidy & clean it will be. Or at least that's what I think. For doing so, I had a big container to rake care of, in my creative space, that had been hanging around for way too long, and that was filled with ... fabric scraps. LOTS of fabric scraps. TOO MANY fabric scraps. Obviously, some are really re-usable, some of them not at all. So, believe me or not, but I went through this giganormous scrap mountain & sorted them all out. One by one. (or almost) And divided them along the way into two categories : bigger scraps & smaller scraps.

I moved some fabrics from one shelf to another, discovered some that I had totally forgotten about, I also gave all my Liberty of London a special home in the form of a "personal" basket. Doing all this lead me to one fact : I have LOTS & LOTS of fabrics. Do I use them all ? Absolutely NOT.

crafty resolution for 2011

which leads me to my probably one & only crafty resolution for 2011 : not buying any new fabric / or any fabric at all.

wow. I know. It's going to be tough for me. But I'm not complaining at all, I have plenty of materials to work with, I need to use them all. I am sure lots of things will come out of this resolution. I'm challenging myself & my own motivation of respecting my resolution.

xoxo

S

Comments

  1. I wish I had 'le courage' to clean my messes and not to buy any more fabric til I really "need" them. Alas I'm going on a little buying trip Saturday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try from time to time to declutter too but it is always soooooo difficult especially when you live in a small flat with a family.Anyway I have an idea for your scraps! Make some wonderful pin pillows,the kind that you embroider a bit on,they are gorgeous!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your goal made my stomach sink! No new fabric! I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearing is good. Happy New Year Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, you're on a real roll. I love the sound of creating your own partition wall with a shelf. You must show us a photo.
    I love days like that, actually I had one myself yesterday. Most of it revolved around finding homes for everything we brought home from the States, including our suitcases - finally. It is very mind clearing though, lots of washing and vacuuming and sorting for charity shops, and, and, and...
    My family were beginning to worry they'd get tossed in a bag too.

    I almost pat myself on my own back by the time I collapsed into bed last night with a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're wonderful! keep it up. you're home is going to be feeling so calm and comfortable and all four of you will really appreciate it. As for the fabric resolution, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with what you have....x

    ReplyDelete
  7. would it be fun to have one big giant world wide trunk sale , so we could exchange our stashes instead of buying new things.
    I have soooo much vintage fabric and linen in my attic, it is actually outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is actually inspiring how you are starting off the new year. And if that basket of fabric is any indication of your stash, I can't see why you need to buy anything else. Well, until you've gone through your stash.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment today's blog post ! It's much appreciated ! :) Have a great rest of the day !