tomorrow marks my Etsy shop's third birthday (happy birthday, shop !!), and for celebrating, I'm offering 20% off any order, and this until Saturday 15th, which is in a week from now. All you have to do to use this discount is to type the coupon name ITSBEEN3YEARS at checkout, in the "coupon" area, and the rest will be done automatically.
three years. Wow, not so much and yet a lot at the same time. I'm not making the same things as when I opened the shop, have changed a bit of direction, while using the same techniques, in some way.
like a child who's growing, and changing into a teen, and finally a grown up, my "artistic side / mind" is growing too, and changing too. But now I'm kind of stuck with what I've been making until now, and what I shall be making from now on. Nothing has literally changed inside myself, it's just that I feel that what I've been making until now doesn't match exactly what I have inside myself, doesn't always incorporate my several interests, doesn't go as far as it could go, doesn't explore anything really much at all.I'm not sure anyone but me understand what I'm saying here. I may just be talking with myself here. I'm not saying that I have never managed to find a real "style" of mine, and to be honest, I'm not sure it is always a good thing to be too much labelled or too easily recognized. (but maybe I'm over thinking here) It's good to be multidisciplinary (not even sure this word exists in English, I hope you get the idea), as much as it is good to be good or excellent in one single technique.
all this to say that my mind is a bit all over the place, and nowhere at the same time. Puzzling. Not sure what to explore right now, what to make with my hands & with myself, craftly and artistically speaking. (I sure hope I don't sound posh now)
I have also discovered that I have a hard time creating for the sake of "art", with no functional purpose. I've been making pincushion, coasters, necklace, lavender sachets, buntings, and occasionally, cushion covers. I have always hated following patterns, and love to make things my way. I'm just wondering now what is my way exactly.OK, girls, after thinking aloud, I'll wish you a very lovely weekend. Ours is supposed to be rainy again, and I hope it'll be filled with much craftiness, even though I don't know exactly yet. (btw, the first photo on top shows a pincushion that will be in the next shop update ... which I don't know yet will occur)
xoxo
S
three years. Wow, not so much and yet a lot at the same time. I'm not making the same things as when I opened the shop, have changed a bit of direction, while using the same techniques, in some way.
like a child who's growing, and changing into a teen, and finally a grown up, my "artistic side / mind" is growing too, and changing too. But now I'm kind of stuck with what I've been making until now, and what I shall be making from now on. Nothing has literally changed inside myself, it's just that I feel that what I've been making until now doesn't match exactly what I have inside myself, doesn't always incorporate my several interests, doesn't go as far as it could go, doesn't explore anything really much at all.I'm not sure anyone but me understand what I'm saying here. I may just be talking with myself here. I'm not saying that I have never managed to find a real "style" of mine, and to be honest, I'm not sure it is always a good thing to be too much labelled or too easily recognized. (but maybe I'm over thinking here) It's good to be multidisciplinary (not even sure this word exists in English, I hope you get the idea), as much as it is good to be good or excellent in one single technique.
all this to say that my mind is a bit all over the place, and nowhere at the same time. Puzzling. Not sure what to explore right now, what to make with my hands & with myself, craftly and artistically speaking. (I sure hope I don't sound posh now)
I have also discovered that I have a hard time creating for the sake of "art", with no functional purpose. I've been making pincushion, coasters, necklace, lavender sachets, buntings, and occasionally, cushion covers. I have always hated following patterns, and love to make things my way. I'm just wondering now what is my way exactly.OK, girls, after thinking aloud, I'll wish you a very lovely weekend. Ours is supposed to be rainy again, and I hope it'll be filled with much craftiness, even though I don't know exactly yet. (btw, the first photo on top shows a pincushion that will be in the next shop update ... which I don't know yet will occur)
xoxo
S
It is good to think out loud sometimes and I understand your feelings well. I make things, all sorts of things, but have never stuck to one style, it is hard. I have started making jewellery and I am going to go with that. The things you make are very beautiful and your blog is a very lovely place to visit too!
ReplyDeleteI like your blogg - and I recognice your way of thinking. You are on my list "blogg I am following". I am Norwegian - and two of my best holidays I have had in your part of your country!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes.
Marian
wow, three years!!! I can't believe how quickly it's gone. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteAnd as for the finding your own style, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's taken me ages, but at last I know what I make best and enjoy to do. I used to work only in felt, but haven't used it for years now. I prefer fabric. And my style has changed too. I think you hit the nail on the head, by describing it as 'growing up'. It's about finding yourself, feeling at peace with who you are, and letting that flow into things you create.
Ah, rain. We have a rainy weekend and week ahead too. I don't mind, I like it. If I'm out in it or at home, I'm happy. I'd prefer to have a bit more snow though!
Have a lovely, lovely weekend xxx
it's me, by the way. I'm signed in elsewhere!
ReplyDeleteSadie xx
Congratulations on your three years! I am just dipping my feet into the etsy world as although I love creating, I was a bit concerened that creating for others, might make me feel under pressure or different. Early days yet, but I can totally understand what you're trying to say. I think being authentic and true to yourself is all you CAN do.
ReplyDeleteLina xoxox
That pincushion looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteI think I know what you mean with all that you have been saying. I feel too I have art in me and I wonder in what way to let it out,even the starting of a blog took me two years of thinking!Ariadne from Greece!
Three years, fantastic! I hope it's been a great experience for you.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to hear your thoughts. I think we all question where we're going from time to time. I think, if you follow your heart and keep doing things you love then not a lot else matters. So cliche I know, but I really think it's true.
Sorry to see we're sharing our weather with you, hope you don't mind too much ;)
Creating is an organic, changing, thing. You change so your work changes. We've loved you every step of the way, my dear.
ReplyDeleteokay , i know i am late at reading this today and even after a long chat with you i didn't know the content of today's post other than the happy birthday etsy shop part. What is really interesting is that this afternoon, i decided to take down the spoons and redo the chalkboard, pegboard and the first thing I did was write something in chalk. It goes like this," certain things catch your eye but pursue only those things that capture your heat."
ReplyDeletethis all makes sense to me Sonia. i have felt this too but now realize that i cannot force it but gently allow time for experimentation and creating from the soul. taking photographs just for me in a very spontaneous way has led me to understand my inspirations so much more. i also feel that with having children we have small pockets of time to create so often have pressure to gain a finished result too quickly. your creations are beautiful and your natural dyeing experiments inspiring. it is good to reflect as it marks awareness and then a time for musing and then new ideas... i look forward to seeing how your creations progress. happy 3 years... what an achievement... yay, go celebrate!!!
ReplyDeleteIf you don't change, you don't grow...if you don't get lost once in a while...you can't find yourself...we all feel this way once in a while and it is a little scary when you don't know what to do or where to go next....I know....I am there right now...but if we keep moving...we'll be alright.....right? :) Happy Birthday Shop....and congratulations!
ReplyDeleteSonia, I agree with Joanie, that following your heart and being true to yourself is the best thing anyone / any maker can do. By making things that you enjoy making and that you love you'll always know taht you've been true to yourself. And about all your thoughts, it's always good to now what your thinking about. Tahnks you for sharing and for being honest. And thanks for the shop discount. And congratulation on 3 years of your shop! x
ReplyDeletethanks for thinking aloud....i am sure you are going to find something that captures your heart soon...love your photo's will stop by soon..
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Sonia, for your shop's birthday and three years of handmade wonders ! Everything you create is lovely and special and is made with love. The important, according to me, is that you enjoy and have fun and excitment in what you craft ... like children with sparking eyes !
ReplyDeleteCongratulations and happy birthday to your shop, Sonia! What a great accomplishment. I'm sending you best wishes for the future of your shop and your lovely creative pursuits.... xoxo K.
ReplyDelete