so here comes my second blog post of the day (yes yes, I posted twice today, don't ask why). Today's activity in our calendar was making frosted looking tea light holders. Sounds difficult but it could be easier. What you need is : glass containers (we used glass jars that were previously yoghurt pots), one egg white, and white caster sugar. (I had to borrow some from my mom as we only use organic blonde sugar in this house).
I slight beat the egg white, then the boys painted the outside part of the glass jars with this gooey liquid, with the help of a cooking brush (made for ... eggs, precisely). Then they sprinkled the said painted jar, with the sugar. I made the excess of sugar fall from the jar, and they were left out to dry for a couple of hours.frankly, it couldn't get easier, right ? Even younger children could do that ! And it's eco friendly, no chemical product, only egg white & white sugar. And, in my opinion, the result is very pretty ! (OK, Mama Sonia added red gingham thin ribbons, but only to look a little bit more festive !)I'm rather satisfied I found this cute little & very simple idea. (I had seen it somewhere on the net, but it was not meant to be a children activity)
I hope you're having a lovely Tuesday. I'm off to grab the boys at school now. It's been so dark all day, and drizzling too. Please take good care, and thank you very much for taking time to stop by.
xoxo
Sonia
I slight beat the egg white, then the boys painted the outside part of the glass jars with this gooey liquid, with the help of a cooking brush (made for ... eggs, precisely). Then they sprinkled the said painted jar, with the sugar. I made the excess of sugar fall from the jar, and they were left out to dry for a couple of hours.frankly, it couldn't get easier, right ? Even younger children could do that ! And it's eco friendly, no chemical product, only egg white & white sugar. And, in my opinion, the result is very pretty ! (OK, Mama Sonia added red gingham thin ribbons, but only to look a little bit more festive !)I'm rather satisfied I found this cute little & very simple idea. (I had seen it somewhere on the net, but it was not meant to be a children activity)
I hope you're having a lovely Tuesday. I'm off to grab the boys at school now. It's been so dark all day, and drizzling too. Please take good care, and thank you very much for taking time to stop by.
xoxo
Sonia
So clever-does the sugar stay pretty nicely attached to the jar despite the heat from the candle?
ReplyDeleteHi Susanne :)
ReplyDeletewe let them burn for half an hour only and it hadn't changed at all.
I can't say if it's the same if the candles burn for longer. But I wouldn't let them burn endlessly anyway.
sorry this isn't much of a help.
I hope no one tries to lick them LOL!Ariadne from Greece!
ReplyDeleteLovely!!
ReplyDeleteHi Sonia! More fun activities. The frosted candles look very pretty. When I was Jessica's girl scout leader, we did lots of crafts that weren't espcially for kids because I wanted them to have gifts their parents would really like using... so not a lot of popsicle stick crafts! ;) We made Merry Christmas blocks that I still use every year. (((Hugz)))
ReplyDeleteso so sweet
ReplyDeletewarm
and
bright
just like you
So pretty. Another great idea. And I love that it's just sugar.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea :)
ReplyDeleteThey look so magical. I'll try making these tonight. thank you Sonia!
ReplyDeleteThese look lovely, and so much fun for the kids!
ReplyDeleteWish they yoghurt in glass here too (Danone?). I'll have to find an alternative to yoghur glasses.
these are so beautiful! I saved my yogurt jar from the one time is I was briefly in Paris a million years ago. wish they had them here.
ReplyDeletewould it work as well with diluted pva/white glue?
ReplyDelete@ Kelly : probably, but the original idea was to use something not really dangerous if ingested by little ones. I suppose it would work too, though, but haven't tested
ReplyDeletewe could use baby food jars if we could'nt get glass yogurt jars.
ReplyDeleteof course !
ReplyDelete