the English name of the Arbutus unedo is so adorable, don't you think ? The strawberry tree ... mmm it almost sounds like a children book's title, something from a tale ... but it is true, berries which can be as red as strawberries do grow on that tree ! Now let me tell you a little bit more about this tree.
first, I have to tell you where I've seen it. It grows in wild areas in our southern France, but not in every wild area. In the area where we go hunting for fossils, they grow abundantly. It is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Ericaceae, native to the Mediterranean region and western Europe north to western France and Ireland. Due to its presence in South West Ireland, it is also known as Irish strawberry tree, and Killarney strawberry tree. It grows to 5-10 m tall. The leaves are dark green and glossy, 5-10 cm long and 2-3 cm broad, with a serrated margin.the hermaphrodite flowers are white (rarely pale pink but I did see pink ones !), bell-shaped, 4-6 mm diameter, produced panicles of 10-30 together in autumn. They are pollinated by bees.the fruit is a red berry, 1-2 cm diameter, with a rough surface, maturing 12 months at the same time as the next flowering. The fruit is edible, though many people find it bland and mealy (the name 'unedo' is explained by Pliny the Elder as being derived from unum edo "I eat one", which may seem an apt response to the flavour) But the ones we ate were sweet & not that plain. They mainly serve as food for birds but in some countries they are used to make jam and liqueurs (such as the Portuguese medronho, a kind of strong brandy).we did ate a good handful of them, but you know what ? they are full of vitamin C !! free vitamins, for us & tons more for the birds & other animals ! So many on the trees that they fall on the ground & the red balls "pop" on the grey marl ground !I couldn't resist the charm of the bells & did a quick & simple watercolor of them.I could have done better, but I was standing on my feet, and a bit freezing too (it was much colder on Wednesday). But as Patricia said it so well in her blog post about cognitive flexibility, I'm embracing the fact that it may be not perfect, not even beautiful ... I was in the nature all day, with my three most favorite guys in the whole world, and I was able to paint quietly. So there, it couldn't have been better. (except the painting itself, that is)
I have so much more to share, about this little day we spent outdoors, on Wednesday. We did need that. So badly. See you tomorrow for another nature related post.
oh ooooh before I go ... a huge, heartfelt thank you for your sweeeeeet & supportive words yesterday, you know they keep me going, and they feel like a million happy bombs in my heart ! As much as I'm honored to be part of the calendar, I'm so very honored & touched by your words & your wonderful support !
xoxo
Sonia
first, I have to tell you where I've seen it. It grows in wild areas in our southern France, but not in every wild area. In the area where we go hunting for fossils, they grow abundantly. It is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Ericaceae, native to the Mediterranean region and western Europe north to western France and Ireland. Due to its presence in South West Ireland, it is also known as Irish strawberry tree, and Killarney strawberry tree. It grows to 5-10 m tall. The leaves are dark green and glossy, 5-10 cm long and 2-3 cm broad, with a serrated margin.the hermaphrodite flowers are white (rarely pale pink but I did see pink ones !), bell-shaped, 4-6 mm diameter, produced panicles of 10-30 together in autumn. They are pollinated by bees.the fruit is a red berry, 1-2 cm diameter, with a rough surface, maturing 12 months at the same time as the next flowering. The fruit is edible, though many people find it bland and mealy (the name 'unedo' is explained by Pliny the Elder as being derived from unum edo "I eat one", which may seem an apt response to the flavour) But the ones we ate were sweet & not that plain. They mainly serve as food for birds but in some countries they are used to make jam and liqueurs (such as the Portuguese medronho, a kind of strong brandy).we did ate a good handful of them, but you know what ? they are full of vitamin C !! free vitamins, for us & tons more for the birds & other animals ! So many on the trees that they fall on the ground & the red balls "pop" on the grey marl ground !I couldn't resist the charm of the bells & did a quick & simple watercolor of them.I could have done better, but I was standing on my feet, and a bit freezing too (it was much colder on Wednesday). But as Patricia said it so well in her blog post about cognitive flexibility, I'm embracing the fact that it may be not perfect, not even beautiful ... I was in the nature all day, with my three most favorite guys in the whole world, and I was able to paint quietly. So there, it couldn't have been better. (except the painting itself, that is)
I have so much more to share, about this little day we spent outdoors, on Wednesday. We did need that. So badly. See you tomorrow for another nature related post.
oh ooooh before I go ... a huge, heartfelt thank you for your sweeeeeet & supportive words yesterday, you know they keep me going, and they feel like a million happy bombs in my heart ! As much as I'm honored to be part of the calendar, I'm so very honored & touched by your words & your wonderful support !
xoxo
Sonia
I think you did a lovely job on your drawing and loved this post. I am "borrowing" your thanks to those who post on my blog from time to time because you expressed it so eloquently -I might change the word from bombs to another word but it does make one feel so good to have their words and thoughts acknowledged doesn't it? I know a lot of people read my blog but very few comment. That is why I try to comment from time to time because I so enjoy being allowed to share in other's lives, adventures and talent. Thank you for letting me share in yours - you make me want to spend a month in Southern France.
ReplyDeletewhat a magical tree and your botanical drawings are just so pretty too. :)
ReplyDeleteGosh, they're fantastic! And so are you.
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful painting, Sonia. I think you've captured the bell shapes perfectly. And thank you for sharing a very magical tree with us with those gorgeous photos and botanical facts.
ReplyDeleteThe post on cognitive flexibility helped me get back to a sewing piece I was working on that I was sure was ruined. Now I'm embracing its charm.
it is perfectly beautiful to me
ReplyDeletexo
Such pretty little berries, actually, they aren't that little, are they? I think your watercolour is beautiful in its simplicity.
ReplyDeleteWe don't find them very often in Greece but we do eat them when they are red and soft it means they are ripe and so delicious!Ariadne from Greece!
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely post Sonia :o) When we are rushing so quickly towards winter, it's easy to forget that it's still Autumn, and should be enjoyed. It doesn't last very long, so we should make the most of every falling leaf!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely Sunday, and thanks for your DM, I have made a note ;o) xxxx