apple pancake


apple pancake ... before

I've baked yesterday afternoon an apple pancake. I had baked it once in the past, and it was something like 5 years ago. (wow, I didn't think it was so long ago !) I remember it was very good, so the other day, I was thinking about all the yummy things you can bake or make with apples, and really, there are so many ! Last week I had baked apple muffins (and they were so darn good), and this week it was the turn of the apple pancake.

as a side note, we love to eat raw apples. We eat lots of them actually, but it's also nice to bake things that the boys aren't used to eat, and they loved this one ! It requires very basic & simple ingredients, and is very easy. Simply plan a bit ahead, because you need to cook a bit the apples in a pan, then the pancake itself will bake in the oven for 20mn. (so just you know !)


you will need

- 3 apples (the sweeter the better ... and if yours are big, 2 will be enough)
- 4 tablespoons melted (unsalted) butter
- 2 tablespoons brown/blonde (caster) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (ground) cinnamon (not sticks, I mean)
- 4 good sized eggs (or 5 if yours are really small)
- 1/2 cup milk
- vanilla sugar (the original recipe called for vanilla extract, but I didn't have any, so I used half a dose/small bag of vanilla sugar)
- a dash of salt
- 1/2 cup of flour (I used whole wheat)
- confectionner sugar (for sprinkling when it's ready to eat)

recipe

preheat the oven at 230°C/450°F. Butter a round (30cm accross or something similar) oven dish.

peel & cut your apples in small cubes (max 2cm)

in a non stick pan, pour 2 tablespoons melted butter, heat medium. Pour the apple cubes, sprinkle with the brown/blond sugar, and cinnamon. Cook for 10mn approx, mixing them from time to time, and stop when they are tender.

apple pancake ... in the making

in a big bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, the 2 remaining tablespoons of melted butter, vanilla sugar & dash of salt. Add flour little by little & do not make lumps.

apple pancake ... in the making

cover the bottom of the (buttered) oven dish with the apples, then pour the egg/milk etc mix onto them.

apple pancake ... in the making

apple pancake ... in the process

put in the oven for 20mn approx at 230°C/450°F. I took mine a bit earlier as the edges were rising rising rising, I was a bit surprised at first. But it goes down again as it cools down.

apple pancake ... after

sprinkle with confectionner's sugar when you're ready to serve ...

oh, we may be very greedy but this is meant for 4 or 5 persons maximum. Or 6 not very greedy ones. So plan ahead too if you're more than 4 or 5. (read = get ready to make two of these !)

apple pancake ... before it was all gone

while we're speaking of autumn, as apples are one of autumn's delights, I would love to tell you that the very talented Jill (of TODAY I SAW) has released yesterday an extremely lovely autumn themed zine ! They are in limited edition so if you want to get a copy, run & get yours !

Without Autumn Jumper

Pinecones, rosehips or acorns Stitching

now will you please have a lovely day. I count on you for making the most of it. Take care, friends, and thank you dearly for stopping by today.

oxox
Sonia

Comments

  1. Delicious, I cannot wait to try it! Autumn is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy am i hungry
    and that zine
    so tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, love alternative ways of using apples, we have so many from our tree this year. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the weaving in the previous post :o)

    oh yum. Now you've made me hungry! That looks sooooo good. I love apples. This afternoon I have an Apple Plan. Not eating them, but carving a face in one to see how it shrinks! A Martha Stewart idea!

    enjoy your afternoon. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sonia, Thank you so much for writing about my zine! You are so kind! I only have two copies left and I am sure it is thanks to you.

    reading about the pancake and looking at your photos made me say yum, yum, yum, yum the whole time! I have a very sweet tooth!

    Thank you and have a happy evening. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Just delicious. Apples are so autumnal - so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, my children would all love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. must make this asap! (as soon as possible)

    Thank you for sharing the recipe and for your mouthwatering photos :-) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cozy photos and really great recipe! Can't wait to try it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you inspired me to make this for 'pudding' last night!

    You can save a step (or rather save yourself another pan to wash), if you put the apple pieces in the pie pan with the butter to cook in the oven while you blend the gooey part of the pancake mix.
    Just go in and stir it a couple of times, like you would if you were using a pan on the stove.

    I did this last night, but without the sugar. I'm not sure if that would be ok or not...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to bake it! looks so simple and must be delicious. I love apples!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came by Patchwork Pottery and your work is gorgeous!
    Thank you for this recipe. I'll try to make it.
    Looks so yummy!
    Hugs from Brazil
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo! Thank you, I've actually baked it! It is so delicious. I couldn't wait for it too cool down so I ate half of it while still hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious & easy to make! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness, this looks amazing. can't wait to browse your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment today's blog post ! It's much appreciated ! :) Have a great rest of the day !