Furoshiki (風呂敷, furoshiki) are a type of traditional Japanese wrapping cloth that were frequently used to transport clothes, gifts, or other goods.Modern furoshiki can be made of a variety of cloths, including silk, chirimen, cotton, rayon, and nylon. Furoshiki are often decorated with traditional designs or by shibori . There is no one set size for furoshiki, they can range from hand sized to larger than bed-sheets. The most common sizes are 45cm (17.7 inch) and 68-72cm (26.7-28.3 inch).
Although there are still furoshiki users in Japan, their numbers declined in the post-war period, in large part due to the proliferation of the plastic shopping bag. In recent years, it has seen a renewed interest as environmental protection became a concern. Furoshiki are, however, commonly used to wrap and transport lunch boxes (bento) and often double as a table mat for the lunch.
Furoshiki gift wrapping from RecycleNow on Vimeo
I think wrapping gifts with fabric is so much nicer than with paper, and even more when you're offering a gift to a crafty kind of person ! :)
L I N K S
♥ Furoshiki.com
♥ Unbag.com
♥ RecycleNow.com
Have a fabulous rest of weekend ! :)
Take care oxox
Oh, I agree 100%, wrapping a gift in fabric gives it "un certo non so che" (an indefinable something). :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the visit, don't know why you have problems with Haloscan. Did you have the same problem in other blogs or just on mine? :(
Send some hot weather here ;) We had 14°C this afternoon. Gosh! My cousin was in London and it was 27°C there. Lucky him!
Good night and sweet dreams, sweetie!
I love these wrappings. We often wrap gifts in vintage scarves, hankies and linens. So much more beautiful and useful than paper.
ReplyDeletea lovely idea, but I don't think I could part with some fabrics. I'd end up keeping them for myself! :O)
ReplyDeleteHope your week is starting off nicely. Been hot here, but it's starting to cool off, hope it's the same for you too xx
Lovely, Sonia. I'm always on the lookout for new ways of wrapping pressies and while I've often wrapped with organza, have never done it with any other fabrics.
ReplyDeleteHope all is well with you and the boys!
Hugs xxx
Hello Sonia, it's a nice way to make a gift bigger as the fabric can be used as well. I hope the week starts well for you, hugs
ReplyDelete