First thing I want to wish ETSY a fabulous birthday !

Etsy was launched on June 19th 2005, so Etsy is FOUR today ! Four is an awesome age, don't you think ?
For the ones of you who don't know Etsy, and I don't think there are many of you ... Etsy is an online marketplace for buying & selling all things handmade. Their mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers. Their vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice : Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade.
As far as I'm concerned, I joined Etsy on May 09th 2007, as a buyer first, and started selling my little creation in June 2008. It's been an awesome experience, and I'm glad I've joined the fun ! I told about Etsy's birthday to my two boys (almost 7 & 5, if you're new to this blog), and showed them lots of goodnesses handmade by talented friends of mine, and also other goodnesses handmade by other talented ladies. I hope to "teach" them that handmade is so much better than mass made. Handmade means time spent, love involved, passion (for a material or a technique) too, for making one something. I am sure they get the idea & I'll do my best this summer to have them make lots of things themselves, involving different techniques & materials, and I hope too that we'll get to see/meet craftmen & craftwomen, one way or another.
If you have never or hardly shopped on Etsy, you have to know that there are many ways to shop :
- Pounce : there are two ways to view Pounce : Shops that just had a sale, or Recently updated shops waiting for their first sale.
- by Colors
- you can also Shop Local ... so that you minimize the transport & the pollution that it can cause, and it helps you discovering new sellers in your country or area.
- you can view Treasuries. The Treasury is an ever-changing, member-curated shopping gallery of handpicked items.
- you can shop by Categories : Accessories / Art / Bags and Purses / Bath and Beauty / Books and Zines / Candles / Ceramics and Pottery / Children / Clothing / Crochet / Dolls and Miniatures / Everything Else / Furniture / Geekery / Glass / Holidays / Housewares / Jewelry / Knitting / Music / Needlecraft / Paper Goods / Patterns / Pets / Plants and Edibles / Quilts / Supplies / Toys / Vintage / Weddings / Woodworking
- you can use the Time Machine as well, which will show you items that just got sold.
So, you see ... there are lots of way to shop on Etsy. But part of the fun is browsing through all of these trillions pages ! I can't tell you the endless hours I spent browsing through thousands of pages, specially when the boys were younger. Oh what fun !
I hope to make posts related to my favorite shops next week, instead of annoying you with the move. Until then, I wish you a delightful weekend ahead.
Tonight is the boys' schools' annual show ... from 06.15pm to 10.30pm !!!! This is going to be fun ! I remembered to reload the camcorder & camera batteries ... phew ! LOL
xoxoxo
PS : Andrea, have a safe & smooth move ! :) Melissa too !

Etsy was launched on June 19th 2005, so Etsy is FOUR today ! Four is an awesome age, don't you think ?
For the ones of you who don't know Etsy, and I don't think there are many of you ... Etsy is an online marketplace for buying & selling all things handmade. Their mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers. Their vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice : Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade.
As far as I'm concerned, I joined Etsy on May 09th 2007, as a buyer first, and started selling my little creation in June 2008. It's been an awesome experience, and I'm glad I've joined the fun ! I told about Etsy's birthday to my two boys (almost 7 & 5, if you're new to this blog), and showed them lots of goodnesses handmade by talented friends of mine, and also other goodnesses handmade by other talented ladies. I hope to "teach" them that handmade is so much better than mass made. Handmade means time spent, love involved, passion (for a material or a technique) too, for making one something. I am sure they get the idea & I'll do my best this summer to have them make lots of things themselves, involving different techniques & materials, and I hope too that we'll get to see/meet craftmen & craftwomen, one way or another.
If you have never or hardly shopped on Etsy, you have to know that there are many ways to shop :
- Pounce : there are two ways to view Pounce : Shops that just had a sale, or Recently updated shops waiting for their first sale.
- by Colors
- you can also Shop Local ... so that you minimize the transport & the pollution that it can cause, and it helps you discovering new sellers in your country or area.
- you can view Treasuries. The Treasury is an ever-changing, member-curated shopping gallery of handpicked items.
- you can shop by Categories : Accessories / Art / Bags and Purses / Bath and Beauty / Books and Zines / Candles / Ceramics and Pottery / Children / Clothing / Crochet / Dolls and Miniatures / Everything Else / Furniture / Geekery / Glass / Holidays / Housewares / Jewelry / Knitting / Music / Needlecraft / Paper Goods / Patterns / Pets / Plants and Edibles / Quilts / Supplies / Toys / Vintage / Weddings / Woodworking
- you can use the Time Machine as well, which will show you items that just got sold.
So, you see ... there are lots of way to shop on Etsy. But part of the fun is browsing through all of these trillions pages ! I can't tell you the endless hours I spent browsing through thousands of pages, specially when the boys were younger. Oh what fun !
I hope to make posts related to my favorite shops next week, instead of annoying you with the move. Until then, I wish you a delightful weekend ahead.
Tonight is the boys' schools' annual show ... from 06.15pm to 10.30pm !!!! This is going to be fun ! I remembered to reload the camcorder & camera batteries ... phew ! LOL
xoxoxo
PS : Andrea, have a safe & smooth move ! :) Melissa too !
happy birthday to etsy! I love it as a buyer!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Sonia! I've browsed Etsy a little but didn't know all the ways you mentioned to really get the most out of it. Thanks for the tut! I can hardly believe your boys are now 7 and 5! I've known you a really long time! :D Happy weekend! (((Hugz)))
ReplyDeleteYay etsy!!!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see what shops you will tell us about:)