"Homemaking Thursday" : Nuts, Lists & Simple Gifts

As a child, I didn't know many different kinds of nuts, and probably only ate a few of them. It was not a habit for my parents to eat nuts because they are good for the health. Now Chris & I know the benefits of eating nuts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Several epidemiological studies have revealed that people who consume nuts regularly are less likely to suffer from coronary heart disease. Recent clinical trials have found that consumption of various nuts such as almonds and walnuts can lower serum LDL cholesterol concentrations.
One study found that people who eat nuts live two to three years longer than those who do not. However, this may be because people who eat nuts tend to eat less junk food.

A nut in cuisine is a much less restrictive category than a nut in botany, as the term is applied to many seeds that are not botanically true nuts. Any large, oily kernel found within a shell and used in food may be regarded as a nut. Because nuts generally have a high oil content, they are a highly prized food and energy source. A large number of seeds are edible by humans and used in cooking, eaten raw, sprouted, or roasted as a snack food, or pressed for oil that is used in cookery and cosmetics. Nuts (or seeds generally) are also a significant source of nutrition for wildlife. This is particularly true in temperate climates where animals such as jays and squirrels store acorns and other nuts during the autumn to keep them from starving during the late autumn, all of winter, and early spring.

Nuts, including both tree nuts and peanuts, are among the most common food allergens.

Some fruits and seeds that are nuts in the culinary sense :

- Almonds and Walnuts are the edible seeds of drupe fruits — the leathery "flesh" is removed at harvest
- Brazil nut is the seed from a capsule
- Candlenut (used for oil) is a seed
- Cashew nut is a seed
- Coconut is a dry, fibrous drupe
- Gevuinanut
- Horse-chestnut is an inedible capsule
- Macadamia nut is a creamy white kernel (Macadamia integrifolia)
- Malabar chestnut
- Mongongo
- Peanut is a legume and a seed
- Pine nut is the seed of several species of pine (coniferous trees)
- Pistachio nut is the seed of a thin-shelled drupe
- Lychee is a member of the soapberry family, in which its berrylike fruits can be eaten fresh or sun dried as nuts

(source : Wikipedia)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From the list above, these are the ones we usually eat : almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, cashew nuts, Macadamia nuts & pistachios. We also eat / have at home : pecan nuts, hazelnuts. Some years ago, I wasn't aware of all the good things contained in these nuts. This is what I learnt along the years :

- Brazil nuts are a good source of magnesium and are perhaps the richest dietary source of selenium. (toxic in large amounts, but trace amounts of it are necessary for cellular function)
- Pine nuts are a source of dietary fiber
- Almonds are a rich source of Vitamin E & are also rich in monounsaturated fat, one of the two "good" fats responsible for lowering LDL cholesterol
- Macadamias are highly nutritious nuts & have the highest amount of beneficial monounsaturated fats of any known nut. Pistachios in the diet can significantly reduce cholesterol and help prevent narrowing of the arteries, according to researchers
- Pistachios in the diet can significantly reduce cholesterol and help prevent narrowing of the arteries, according to researchers
- Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, and have been shown as helpful in lowering cholesterol

This was the boys' even snack (a bit before having dinner), and they were as happy as if they were little squirrels waiting for their dose of nuts, that was hilarious ! My boys love nuts ! (and I couldn't be any happier !!) In a word, if you're not really used to eat nuts, I'd advice you to start, even though they contains calories. These are good calories & your health will thank you after that.

Now ... people ... I have officially started making lists about the move. Yep. Things to do, or buy before we'll leave this place & region, things to do, or buy once we'll have moved there ... I'm thinking about this night & day, these days, uh. Not all the time, but very often, I must admitt. But, hey, we'll be moving in a little more than three months, so I have the right to feel concerned, right ?Two days ago, we were invited for a playdate / snack at some of our friends. I didn't want to come totally empty handed (I was told not to bring anything), so I came with a little idea that may be useful to you, so I'm sharing. I'm not the creator, I've been this somewhere else. It's basically little blank books made of A4 sheets, sewn together with a sewing machine. I used color paper (simple ones, not scrapbook paper, which, anyway, I don't have), I folded them in half, sewed them in the middle. Then I stamped the children's name on a label & sticked it to the front page. I made two for each child. I would have added a box of pencils, but I knew they already had enough of them. I loved that idea (which was greatly appreciated), because it was made at home, with what I had on hand (I could have used white paper too), it didn't cost a thing, it was made in a few minutes, and is a good idea for the child to use their imagination. (they can draw inside, write, invent a story, whatever)And I think they look nice !!

OK, must go. Have to stop by the supermarket & the health store before picking the boys at school. Peace, love, and if no one's said it to you today, I love you. xoxoxo

Comments

  1. Hi Sonia, I love to eat nuts too. They're so good! My fave is cashew. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that was some post. The work and thought you put in was so gratefully recieved. Visiting you is such a huge part of my day.

    I don't eat enough nuts, I agree they are delicious, I dont know why I dont eat them more...I will buy some more in next weeks shop, thanks for the inspiration there.

    Can I just say how much I adore ADORE I said A D O R E your sewn books. G has a party this weekend...guess what I'll now be making. Your the bestXX

    Oh what date is your birthday? Well done for starting the list making, I am sure that feeling organised will help with the tummy butterflies sweetie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Sonia, my sweetheart and I love to eat nuts too. They are our fave snack, especially during winter.
    I can't believe you are almost moving!
    Hugs & happy day! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sonia! I too love nuts, and I so love your sweet books = }

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books look so sweet :) I think I'll make a couple up when we get together with my neice & nephew next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sonia, you forgot my very favorite nut which also is a US Southern nut: Pecan nuts :) I hope you're having a great day, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books look fantasic. Beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonjour Sonia-
    When we lived in France we really missed peanut butter.I'm not really 'nuts' for nuts but don't mind a little bit mixed in things-like chocolate! And trail mix etc...
    Love the little 'carnets'....
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sonia! We eat a lot of nuts, too. The only ones you mentioned that you eat that I don't like a Brazil nuts. I ppu them in a little bowl and when there's enough, I give them to the birds. :) Cute little notebooks! Always a great idea for kids to spur their imagination and creativity. (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post on nuts! Thank you for the wealth of information. I and my beau are big nut and seed eaters. I remember a time in my life where I was caught up in the belief that nuts were "fattening" (kind of a funny word even, isn't it?) and wow was my body missing out. I have found this belief keeps many people from eating nuts (and other supportive, nutritious foods in exchange for less supportive, less nutritious foods). Nuts and seeds are, as you put it, highly nutritious and so supportive to the body in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful post. I've enjoyed reading all about the nuts. My favorite is pistachio! I just love that one! I prefer to buy them with shell. I enjoy opening one by one!! I don't like the brazilian nut. When I was a kid a neighbour had a macaco (monkey) that lived in their super tall mango tree at their front yard. It's true! At that time people did not care much about certain animals living as a pet. So, me and grandpa used to buy the brazilian nuts to throw to the monkey. He was really great in grabbing them all! We have another nut that is called castanha do para and I am not sure how it's called in English and people usually eat them around the holidays. My dad loves it. They had to be cooked in pressured pan.
    I also loved these booklets. I think I will make some for my children to draw and write things.
    Nice to be here again...
    xoxo,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment today's blog post ! It's much appreciated ! :) Have a great rest of the day !