Let's begin this new schedule today, my friends, and let me share one of my best childhood book memories ... and which is also an old classic for both my boys, I'll name it : BARBAPAPA !!I think I discovered the existence of these colorful characters around the age of 4 or 5, when my mom worked in a preschool. I remember going to the book corner of her class & reading/looking at these books very very often ! If you don't know Barbapapa, here is a little biography ...
Barbapapa is both the title character, and name of the "species" of said character, of a series of children's books written in the 1970s by Annette Tison and Talus Taylor, who resided in Paris, France. The books were originally written in French (barbe à papa is French for candy floss, or - literally - "father's beard"), and were later translated into over 30 languages.
Barbapapa himself is a generally pear-shaped, pink shapeshifting blob-like creature who stumbles upon the human world and tries to fit in. The shapeshifting is usually accompanied by the saying "Clickety Click—Barba Trick" (in the French version "Hup Hup Hup, Barbatruc"). After various amusing adventures, he comes across a female of his species (more shapely, and black-coloured), named Barbamama. They produce seven children, known as the Barbababies, each a different colour :- Barbazoo (Barbidou in French), yellow, male, lover of animals
- Barbalala, green, female, lover of music
- Barbalib (Barbotine), orange, female, lover of books
- Barbabeau (Barbouille), black and furry, male, lover of art
- Barbabelle, purple, female, lover of beauty
- Barbabright (Barbibul), blue, male, lover of science
- Barbabravo (Barbidur), red, male, lover of strength and heroism
In 1974 & 1977, a series of 93 cartoons of 5mn each were created. We have them all on DVDs, and they're really fabulous. What I love about these books & the "old" cartoons that were made after that, is that the concept is good. Barbapapas are soft, pacifist, helpful, polite, smart, eco-conscious. Really, it was the best of all the cartoons I used to watch as a child. And more importantly, the books are fabulous, and can be found everywhere now.
Of couse, way too much merchandizing has been made over the years, and this I do not like. We have books & DVDs at home, and that's all.
Now, I'll leave you today with a video ...Have a fabulous weekend ahead, friends ! Do take care. oxoxo
My best childhood memories were the Three Stooges!So lovely of you to share some precious memories of your childhood. I would love to know Barbapapa!
ReplyDeleteHave a great FRiday!
sweet diary entry Sonia. My childhood favourites are Bagpuss, Mr Benn, Trumpton and Camberwick Green. Happy days. We tracked down and bought dvds of Bagpuss and Mr Benn, and I am happy to say that Humbug enjoys them too. There is something absolutely magical about sharing childhood favourites with your own children. :O)
ReplyDeletehappy weekend!
xxx
Oh boy ,this brings back memories...I'm sure we had some of these books!
ReplyDeleteIn America we call barbe a papa-'cotton candy'
I like your idea of taking a few days off from the computer...I need to organize my time a littl better too:)
Bon weekend-
Andrea
Hi Sonia! It's so interesting to hear about the childhood books, cartoons, etc... that are unique to France, Britain, etc... Of course, in the US we know more about the British because we share a language. We do love the Madeleine books here.
ReplyDeleteI think your new blogging schedule is a good idea. You can tell that you put much love and work into your blog as it's always so interesting and full of lovely photos and ideas.
Enjoy your blog-free weekend!
(((Hugz)))
What lovely memories you've brought back for me Sonia :) I watched Barbapapa in English on a local University station when I was a child and read the English version of the books. My boys have been read the French versions (with translation) by me (not particularly good translation as my French is rusty) and a friend who has French as her first language. They loved them and it was so special to share a childhood love with them :o) Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xoxo
ReplyDeleteSo cute !!
ReplyDeleteOH Wow i remember these, all though I dont remember well I do remember some lol..
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me of something I completey forgot about...
Happy spring day!!
How fun! I remember Barbapapa too! I loved to watch these series on TV when I was a kid. Barbapapa and his family were speaking Norwegian, on Norwegian TV. We also got comic's with Barbapapa.
ReplyDeleteI wish you a nice weekend.
Hugs from Bente
Hi Sonia, I have never heard of this cute little series. I must investigate,huge thanks for sharing. I always love to find new books for the children. Hope your keeping well. I love how organised you are with your blog schedule. It all sounds so wonderful. Take care XXX
ReplyDelete