My experiment for washing the dishes with soap was something I wanted to do, myself. I don't want to force anyone to do the same. I don't know what each one of you actually does to pollute less, or plan to do, or simply is able to do (realistically). I know that sometimes we need time to realize how much we pollute & how much little effort is worth making. I know that sometimes we don't have the choice. (for instance WE can't have a compost box right here right now, but we hope to be able one day) I don't want to make anyone feel bad by writing this post, but I felt I had to do it.
For me to keep a kind of record, and for you to know (because I've always been honest with you all) I made a (non exhaustive) list of things we do here. Our little efforts. And we DO think that there are never too many of them. We can always find a thing we can do in a more respectful way for the environnment.
LAUNDRY
- we don't have a drier & will never have
- I use washing balls in the washing machine ...
- ... this way I use half the laundry detergent & softener
- I use eco-friendly phosphate free laundry detergent & softener
- when clothes are stained, I use Aleppo soap & it works great 95% of the time. Anyway I always try to find an earth-friendly solution to remove the stain. Aleppo soap is phosphate free too, made from olive oil & laurel oil
- I always do the 40°C cycle, our clothes aren't that dirty anyway
HOME
- we have compact fluorescent light bulbs everywhere in the appartment, except 2 lamps
- during autumn, winter & spring, we heat the appartment with one radiator (in the living room), and it doesn't work all day long neither
- we don't take bath, even the boys. They have a bath once a week. We all take showers
- the dishwasher detergent & rincing liquid are eco-friendly, I buy them at the health food store, and we ALWAYS do the shortest cycle (45°C)
- I've just started washing the dishes with Savon de Marseille, using liquid detergent the less often I could, only on very greasy dishes
- I use a mix of white vinegar + few drops of dish detergent + water + tea tree & mint essential oils, for cleaning any surface that needs disinfecting
- we don't have a single air freshener/deodorizer at all
- of course we sort our wastes/garbagge & put a max to recycling : glass, paper, card, plastics, metal
- we re-use many materials for the boys' games or crafts, from toilet paper rolls to small boxes, or cider bottle cork stoppers, wrapping papers etc ...
- I re-use the inside of enveloppes from mails we get, for Etsy purposes
- the few times I have magazines, I keep the sheets I want to keep & re-sort it once again to keep the sheets with pretty photographies, that I'll be able to re-use as enveloppes
- I re-use as often as I can, from metal boxes, card boxes (or egg boxes, for instance). I re-use cardboard from Amazon deliveries for the inside part of my Felt Pics
- I use a Dyson, bag free hoover & throw the dust with the non-recyclable stuff
- I dust my furniture (and all the rest) with scraps of fabrics coming from old/salvage clothes, and wash them in machine with all the rest. No Swiffer stuff or aerosol
- I clean my windowpanes (not very often, I admitt, but that's a good thing for the environment !) with microfiber + a little soap + water
- we re-use old sponges & toothbrushes to clean muddy shoes, or for tricky/yucky jobs like these
SHOPPING / FOOD
- we don't have a car, and even though I have my driving licence, I won't drive, people are too mad on the roads !
- so I/we walk to the supermarket & health food store, no matter the weather, no matter the quantity of things to buy
- the food we eat (at home or that Chris takes at work) is ... I'd say ... 90% of the time organic or organically grown. Anyway it tastes better, you can find items you couldn't find non organic anyway
- we're doing our best to buy seasonal. We will NEVER buy tomatoes in winter or grapes in spring !
- I use either my shopping trolley or fabric totes when shopping, depending on the quantity/weight/volume of my purchases
- whenever it's possible, we buy our conserves/products in glass containers. It's forever recyclable.
- we try to not buy too much at the same time. We don't have much stock at home. We plan our meals on Sunday for the next 4 or 5 days & we make a list with what we need & always do our best to use a max of the things we already have at home. (mostly cereals or conserves or legumes)
- we are not vegetarian, but don't eat meat much at all. We hardly eat fish. Our sons do eat everything, but not much fish at all. We never eat red meat like beef, and we're eating less & less meat as time goes by. We try to compensate with cereals + legume, for instance
MISC
- when we go to our parents' or to Paris (not the same distance though !) we use the TVG (high speed train) or RER (express regional train). We walk a lot, so do our two sons. Boy they're not lazy when it comes to walking !
- I made a bird bath with a flower pot (upside down) & its saucer on top, and throw crumbs on the balcony for the birds to eat
- I do my best to MAKE a present (or a part of it at least) instead of buying it ready-made
- I do not use/wear/buy make up of any kind, not even a lipstick
- I do not use/wear/buy nail varnish (I know that these last two will kill some of my friends ... but nevermind)
- Chris uses Aleppo soap to shave & he's perfectly happy with it
WE'RE PLANNING TO
- ... to use bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) instead of using (the already eco-friendly) softener
- ... to use soap bar instead of shower gels (that comes in plastic containers)
- ... not to buy another car, once we'll have moved back to the south, but renting one when we'll need one (we plan to live in the middle of the town)
- to make more instead of buying ready made, clothes or food speaking
...
OK, now this list is not exhaustive & I don't want to brag or anything. It's just a way for me to list the things we do or try to do, to make our planet a less polluted planet we & our ancestors've made so far. And, in a months time period, I'll see how our efforts will have been possible, realistic, positive, and also what new we'll have started to do.
I'll leave you with some inspiring links :
DAILY DANNY
HOW BIG IS YOUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT
MOMMY'S FOOTPRINT - HOMEMADE & ECO-FRIENDLY CLEANING SOLUTIONS
TREE HUGGING FAMILY - 25 SAFE, NON-TOXIC, HOMEMADE CLEANING SUPPLIES
APPARTMENT THERAPY - DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR
I could find you tons of other links, but these are already great.
I'll just leave you with a photo of what my mom brought me yesterday, from the notion store/haberdashery's ... she's the best mama !! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY !!
Btw, she absolutely loved everything in her birthday present ! :) We'll be baking Annabel Karmel's (buttery + strawberry jam) biscuits, as birthday "cake".
Have a great day everyone !!! Big hugs OXOXO And sorry if you fell asleep in the middle of today's entry LOL
For me to keep a kind of record, and for you to know (because I've always been honest with you all) I made a (non exhaustive) list of things we do here. Our little efforts. And we DO think that there are never too many of them. We can always find a thing we can do in a more respectful way for the environnment.
LAUNDRY
- we don't have a drier & will never have
- I use washing balls in the washing machine ...
- ... this way I use half the laundry detergent & softener
- I use eco-friendly phosphate free laundry detergent & softener
- when clothes are stained, I use Aleppo soap & it works great 95% of the time. Anyway I always try to find an earth-friendly solution to remove the stain. Aleppo soap is phosphate free too, made from olive oil & laurel oil
- I always do the 40°C cycle, our clothes aren't that dirty anyway
HOME
- we have compact fluorescent light bulbs everywhere in the appartment, except 2 lamps
- during autumn, winter & spring, we heat the appartment with one radiator (in the living room), and it doesn't work all day long neither
- we don't take bath, even the boys. They have a bath once a week. We all take showers
- the dishwasher detergent & rincing liquid are eco-friendly, I buy them at the health food store, and we ALWAYS do the shortest cycle (45°C)
- I've just started washing the dishes with Savon de Marseille, using liquid detergent the less often I could, only on very greasy dishes
- I use a mix of white vinegar + few drops of dish detergent + water + tea tree & mint essential oils, for cleaning any surface that needs disinfecting
- we don't have a single air freshener/deodorizer at all
- of course we sort our wastes/garbagge & put a max to recycling : glass, paper, card, plastics, metal
- we re-use many materials for the boys' games or crafts, from toilet paper rolls to small boxes, or cider bottle cork stoppers, wrapping papers etc ...
- I re-use the inside of enveloppes from mails we get, for Etsy purposes
- the few times I have magazines, I keep the sheets I want to keep & re-sort it once again to keep the sheets with pretty photographies, that I'll be able to re-use as enveloppes
- I re-use as often as I can, from metal boxes, card boxes (or egg boxes, for instance). I re-use cardboard from Amazon deliveries for the inside part of my Felt Pics
- I use a Dyson, bag free hoover & throw the dust with the non-recyclable stuff
- I dust my furniture (and all the rest) with scraps of fabrics coming from old/salvage clothes, and wash them in machine with all the rest. No Swiffer stuff or aerosol
- I clean my windowpanes (not very often, I admitt, but that's a good thing for the environment !) with microfiber + a little soap + water
- we re-use old sponges & toothbrushes to clean muddy shoes, or for tricky/yucky jobs like these
SHOPPING / FOOD
- we don't have a car, and even though I have my driving licence, I won't drive, people are too mad on the roads !
- so I/we walk to the supermarket & health food store, no matter the weather, no matter the quantity of things to buy
- the food we eat (at home or that Chris takes at work) is ... I'd say ... 90% of the time organic or organically grown. Anyway it tastes better, you can find items you couldn't find non organic anyway
- we're doing our best to buy seasonal. We will NEVER buy tomatoes in winter or grapes in spring !
- I use either my shopping trolley or fabric totes when shopping, depending on the quantity/weight/volume of my purchases
- whenever it's possible, we buy our conserves/products in glass containers. It's forever recyclable.
- we try to not buy too much at the same time. We don't have much stock at home. We plan our meals on Sunday for the next 4 or 5 days & we make a list with what we need & always do our best to use a max of the things we already have at home. (mostly cereals or conserves or legumes)
- we are not vegetarian, but don't eat meat much at all. We hardly eat fish. Our sons do eat everything, but not much fish at all. We never eat red meat like beef, and we're eating less & less meat as time goes by. We try to compensate with cereals + legume, for instance
MISC
- when we go to our parents' or to Paris (not the same distance though !) we use the TVG (high speed train) or RER (express regional train). We walk a lot, so do our two sons. Boy they're not lazy when it comes to walking !
- I made a bird bath with a flower pot (upside down) & its saucer on top, and throw crumbs on the balcony for the birds to eat
- I do my best to MAKE a present (or a part of it at least) instead of buying it ready-made
- I do not use/wear/buy make up of any kind, not even a lipstick
- I do not use/wear/buy nail varnish (I know that these last two will kill some of my friends ... but nevermind)
- Chris uses Aleppo soap to shave & he's perfectly happy with it
WE'RE PLANNING TO
- ... to use bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) instead of using (the already eco-friendly) softener
- ... to use soap bar instead of shower gels (that comes in plastic containers)
- ... not to buy another car, once we'll have moved back to the south, but renting one when we'll need one (we plan to live in the middle of the town)
- to make more instead of buying ready made, clothes or food speaking
...
OK, now this list is not exhaustive & I don't want to brag or anything. It's just a way for me to list the things we do or try to do, to make our planet a less polluted planet we & our ancestors've made so far. And, in a months time period, I'll see how our efforts will have been possible, realistic, positive, and also what new we'll have started to do.
I'll leave you with some inspiring links :
DAILY DANNY
HOW BIG IS YOUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT
MOMMY'S FOOTPRINT - HOMEMADE & ECO-FRIENDLY CLEANING SOLUTIONS
TREE HUGGING FAMILY - 25 SAFE, NON-TOXIC, HOMEMADE CLEANING SUPPLIES
APPARTMENT THERAPY - DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR
I could find you tons of other links, but these are already great.
I'll just leave you with a photo of what my mom brought me yesterday, from the notion store/haberdashery's ... she's the best mama !! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY !!
Btw, she absolutely loved everything in her birthday present ! :) We'll be baking Annabel Karmel's (buttery + strawberry jam) biscuits, as birthday "cake".Have a great day everyone !!! Big hugs OXOXO And sorry if you fell asleep in the middle of today's entry LOL
Good morning, dear Sonia! Stopping to say hi and see what’s new in your li’l corner of the world. I really liked your post, today. I must say Zeno and I "do the same" in almost 80% of the things you wrote. Cool! :) I will check the links you posted later. Well, seems like you have been real busy... as usual, LOL! Enjoy your family, sweetie. Hope you have a great middle-of-the-week. Huggles.
ReplyDeletegood for you, sonia! we're doing what we can as well. i admire you for not having a car! we dream about that, but the US suburbs just aren't built for that, unfortunately.
ReplyDeletewow, you guys are an inspiration! if only we all did these things. i know me and my family could stand do make some changes.
ReplyDeletehope you are doing great!! been thinking about you...
~toni
OOOO! Thank you for your list of tips!! It is inspiring me! We recycle alot but I know we need to do more. So thanks again! Gavin is being a 'busy' boy today so Im off to chase him around the house! Hugs!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday to your mum !!
ReplyDeleteHi Sonia! Very impressive list, Sonia! It's nice to see that your generation is getting excited about what we called back in the 70's- ecology. I was in college during the first Earth Day and was a semi- hippie! Imagine me with the long blonde hair, and holey jeans and flowery tops. ;) (((Hugz)))
ReplyDeleteWow Sonia! You all are such an inspiration and gave me some great ideas of what we can do to help conserve too. We do a lot of recycling (paper, aluminum and other things) plus we donate a lot of our gently used items instead of throwing them all away.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about not coming around often - we all get busy and our non-computer lives are most important :) I have been feeling pretty well (thank you for asking). I have been getting really bad heartburn lately but that's about it.
Have a wonderful rest of the week! Huggles
Buongiorno Sonia, are you enjoying your mom's company? :)
ReplyDeleteI sleept in this morning and got up at 9, and now I'm all dizzy. Zeno's arrived in Germany safe and
sound yesterday. I'm sorry he won't be able to see anything, but I'm sure he will enjoy being there. I miss him... already! ;) I know, I'm soooo pathetic! I forgot to wish your mom a very Happy Birthday! Buon Compleanno, Sonia's mom! :D
Thank you for visiting, Sonia! :) Hugs!
Wow that's an impressive list! Is France very green? I know that in Germany all new buildings are very eco-friendly and they seem to be way ahead of us with this type of thing.
ReplyDeleteSadly I don't have time to catch up with your other posts as I'm running short of time this evening.
Hope all is well with you and your men :o)
Such an inspirational post, Sonia. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing your life and your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteLove, annaxx
Hello Sonia, I hope you're having a great Friday & enjoying your mom. Have a great weekend, hugs
ReplyDelete